Master Your Audio Equipment, from Novice to Expert
Quick & Easy
Figure out a quick & easy setup, which still delivers brilliant quality.
Recording in-person or online, how to record 2 or more people.
Mixers & Fancyness
Delving into advanced kit? Here's recorders, mixers & more!
What We Cover
– Recording with 2 USB Mics
– Using Multiple Mics With The Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB Preamp
– Recording With 4 Microphones
– Recording Into Audacity With 2 XLR Mics
– The Zoom H1
– Using lavalier mics with the Zoom H1 to create a portable interview kit
– The Zoom H5
– Using lavalier mics with the Zoom H5 to create a portable interview kit
– Using XLR mics with the Zoom H1 to create a “mini studio” setup
– Using a boom arm or mic stand
– Using a pop filter or pop shield
– Selecting the most appropriate recording settings
– What's the difference between an XLR and a USB mic?
– What's the difference between a dynamic and a condenser mic?
– What distance should I be from the mic when recording?
– What is reverb, background noise, and noisefloor in my audio?
– Why should I monitor my recordings with headphones?
– What's the difference between a MP3 and WAV files?
– What do 3.5mm and 1/4″ connections look like, and where can they be found?
– What's the difference between a TS, TRS, and TRRS plug, and why does it matter?
– What are splitters, and why are they handy things to have in your studio?
– Can you plug both XLR and 1/4″ plugs into your mixer?
– What are RCA plugs/cables?
Head of Audio Production
Matthew is the head of audio production at The Podcast Host, taking care of both client podcasts and our own shows alike. He also produces audio dramas galore, and talks enthusiastically about them on the Audio Drama Production podcast every week.
What Our Customers Are Saying
Don't just take it from us, let our customers do the talking!
“My experience with ThePodCastHost made my podcast launch possible. I overcame a lot of my fears early on. I highly recommend The PodCast Host to anyone. I owe The PodCast Host a tremendous debt of gratitude.”
The Digital Wealth Digest Podcast
“I only have great things to say about The Podcast Host. Not only in the quality of their production work, but also with their knowledge and insights around technology, equipment & advice in podcasting.”
Director, The Property Voice
“Colin is the man when it comes to helping you launch a podcast or improving your podcasting skills. The online courses were invaluable and his advice along the way superb.”
Financial Advisor, The Voyantist
“As someone who literally had no idea how to go about starting a podcast I am so glad I found Colin! If I hadn’t signed up for the Producer Package then I know I would have become completely overwhelmed and would never have managed to bring my podcasting plans to fruition. I’m going to be honest and say that I worried about the monthly cost but I can safely say that it is indeed money well spent. The time I have saved trying to learn to do all of the things that Colin took off my hands has been spent creating good content and building my platform. Colin and the team have a great system going. Everything is streamlined and easy and [the team are] there as a mentor throughout. If you want to concentrate on creating great content for your show, hire the Podcast Host to worry about everything else!”
Julie Christie Photography
Despite my 30 years of experience in programme-making, Colin and his team’s insight into what makes a podcast compelling is invaluable. I would strongly advise any first-time podcaster to bring The Podcast Host on board as your podcast coach, partner and safety net. Both he and Matthew were calm, reassuring and had endless patience whenever I stumbled and got me back up and running quickly, with even more knowledge as a bonus. I honestly wouldn’t make a podcast without them and I’d strongly suggest, neither should you!
CEO, Broadstance Media
Colin and his team have been a massive help in setting up our series of podcasts. My colleagues and I went into the world of podcasting knowing nothing. However with Colin’s support, it turned a really legal podcast into something fresh and exciting. The Podcast Host was instrumental in assisting us, from a theme tune to giving us useful content to use in our podcasts. We have turned from Podcast Plebs into to Podcast Prim-donnas! We would recommend The Podcast Host to anyone.
Partner & Specialist in Employment Law, Blackadders LLP