Early 2018, we released our web application – Alitu: The Podcast Maker. It's designed to make it as easy as possible for anyone to create a podcast. Since then we've expanded our features hugely and grown to helping 1000s of users to get their voice out into the world.
Now, we're looking for a backend developer to join the team and expand our skills. You'll be a node.js pro, with Devops experience, and great communication skills for working remotely. If you're an audio geek too, even better – that's our core business – but video and media in general is also bread and butter for Alitu.
Our plans for the future are huge – we have a big list of features we want to get into the app, and we're now on the path from 1000 to 10,000 users. We need you to help us build a rock-solid, reliable tool for those users, and to work with us to build the new features that'll keep them excited.
Who is this for?
We're looking for someone with at least 2 year's experience in backend development, or a closely related field. Specifically, that means 2+ years in a back-end or devops role, primarily Node.js and AWS infrastructure management.
- Develop new features and media processors for our existing node.js based application
- Maintain and optimise the running of our application on AWS
- Plan for scaling and improving the performance of the entire Alitu infrastructure
- Maintain and develop the RestfulAPI which links our back-end system to the application UI.
- Develop linkages with new external systems via API
- Develop our CI/CD process to be rock-solid and reliable.
The abilities to learn and problem solve are more important than the exact skills you have. So, if you don't currently work with ALL of these, but you can show us you've learned similar quickly, then get in touch.
- Node.js development
- AWS application management
- Devops engineering
- Monitoring tools – Zabbix / Grafana
These skills are a bonus, but not necessary. Let me know if you have them.
- Experience in audio editing/encoding using ffmpeg or a similar multimedia tech
- Experience in video editing/encoding using ffmpeg or a similar multimedia tech
- Docker and Kubernetes for containerisation and orchestration
- Jenkins for CI/CD
- Configuration management (Terraform, or similar)
- React (our front-end tech)
Your mindset is really important to us, too. Values, culture, whatever you call it, it's how you think. Now, this doesn't mean everyone having the same thoughts, beliefs or background. Quite the opposite – we're passionate about bringing in diverse ideas and opinions, from all backgrounds. But your mindset is more about how you approach things like work and communication. Learn more about how we think on our main recruitment page, and check you'd enjoy working here 😊
How it Works
- Salary – £35,000 to £45,000 / $45,000 to $57,000 USD
- Hours – Flexible Full-time – 4 to 5 days per week.
- Benefits – The usual basics, and growing as we do: holiday pay, pensions, staff parties, etc.
- Benefits – We'll pay for courses, equipment, and conference attendance to help your development.
- Schedule – Flexible hours – we can work around your schedule.
- Location – local or Remote. We're based in Dundee, and in Edinburgh, and you're welcome to work in one of our offices. But you can be anywhere for this role.
How to Apply
Please pop over to the form below, and fill it out:
Any questions, just tweet us on @thepodcasthost or email us here.