Are you a WordPress expert with great UX design skills? We're looking for someone with a special mix of great technical chops and a top notch design sense to help us take our already established content site to 20 million views, plus.
If you can get your hards dirty in the code, and also put together a brilliant looking, modern layout, then this is for you.
Closing date: As soon as we find the right person! So, apply quick 🚀
We need someone who knows WordPress inside out. You'll know PHP well, confidently able to go deep in customising themes and building plugins. You'll share our love of simplicity and efficiency, helping us to move towards a slick, fast site with the minimum weight possible.
On top of that, it's vital that you can apply those skills to creating sharp, modern layouts on the web. You don't need to be a graphic designer, but the perfect candidate will be able to create amazing looking layouts and page designs. You might use existing assets, like illustration libraries or web frameworks, or you might draw from popular page builders to create an interface that users love.
An interest in top-notch UX is a must, and you'll be absolutely crazy about creating a website that's easy to use, intuitive and that draws the reader in, from page to page. A big part of your job will be testing new layouts and new elements, to help our users find what you're looking for and to take action.
Sound like you? Well, let's get into the detail!
What do We Do?
Our core area of work is podcasting: helping others launch and grow an amazing, world-changing show. We publish a range of free resources on a regular basis at thePodcastHost.com, and we direct anyone who needs more help to our coaching and web app products.
Here's how our company works, and you'll contribute to web dev and UX on all 3:
- Supporting a close community of all-in media creators within our paid course library: The Podcast Host Academy. The community contains courses, resources and live-taught events to help anyone learn how to run a better show.
- Running a Software as a Service (SAAS) web application, Alitu, which is a tool to help people create a podcast. SAAS growth & marketing is a really interesting and growing area, and you'll help us create our strategy around that.
- Affiliate and Sponsorship related to our free content. This means researching customer problems and needs, and creating content that really helps them. This is then monetised through product recommendations, sponsorship and other methods.
What you'll be responsible for
First and foremost, your job is to increase user engagement on thePodcastHost.com. That means delighting visitors, helping them find what they're looking for and building our flagship site into the best possible example of a WordPress content site.
We see 200k+ visitors each month, and we need to give them the best possible experience, at every level. Our aim is to grow that 10x in the next couple of years, and that means a whole lot of improvements throughout. You'll be building new features, refining existing ones, tweaking layouts, a/b testing the results and maintaining the site to be slick and fast, throughout.
You'll also maintain and develop our online course-based site at thePodcastHost.com/academy. This houses our learning management system, and runs on a separate WordPress install.
Finally, you'll contribute UX expertise to our web-app, Alitu.com. Alitu is built in Node.js and React, so you wont be contributing code (although you're welcome to learn over time!), but we're always in need of interface design and UX input, there, and you'll be heartily involved.
To cover the more formal parts:
- Developing the theme for thePodcastHost.com to be more user friendly, action-oriented, better looking and faster overall.
- Maintaining existing plugins, and building new custom functionality
- Maintenance and backup of both thePodcastHost.com and the Academy within.
- Regular UX audits and planning for improvements.
- User engagement audits and planning for improvement.
- WordPress sitespeed monitoring and improvement
- Contribute UX help to the Alitu.com web app
- WordPress development skills – you don't need to be expert with PHP, but you need to understand it well, and be able to construct WordPress themes from a base level, and modify existing plugins.
- UX experience – have an eye for good user experience.
- Design skills – have an eye for great layouts and be able to put together a great landing page.
- Clean coder – you'll have an eye for efficiency and minimalism in your code
- Expert WordPress Development skills – being able to build themes and plugins from scratch.
- Podcasting experience: having run a podcast
- Technical SEO – you know how to optimise a WordPress theme and site from a technical SEO level
How it Works
- Salary – £22,000 > £30,000 / $28,000 USD >$38,000 USD depending on experience.
- Hours – Flexible – from half week (20hrs) to full week (40 hrs)
- Schedule – Flexible working hours.
- Location – Primarily remote, but we have offices in Dundee and Edinburgh, Scotland, and Adelaide, Australia, if you prefer to work in person.
- Benefits – The usual basics, and growing as we do: holiday pay (4 weeks per year), pensions, staff parties, etc. We're still small, so we can't quite compete with huge open offices and tonnes of freebies, but we make up for that in flexibility, balance, a close-knit team, and your ability to really make a difference in an early stage, growing company with a loyal fanbase.
How to Apply
Please pop over to the form below, and fill it out:
Any questions, just tweet us on @thepodcasthost or email us here.
More About Us and our Culture
We're focused on being the #1 Podcasting resource on the internet, and we're looking anyone that can commit to being all-in on that goal. Our aim it to enable anyone and everyone to get their voice and their message out into the world and make a difference!
We're a remote-first startup, with staff based around the world. We started in Dundee, Scotland, but we're looking for great people everywhere! We've grown out of the founder's passion for podcasting and education, and are growing a team that share that passion.
We're profit focussed, and haven't taken any equity based funding at all. We're happy to grow in an organic and smart way, validating what we've got as we go, but that doesn't mean we don't have the drive to move fast!
We know people want what we've got – we have a thriving content website with hundreds of thousands of monthly visitors, a coaching space with hundreds of members, and a software product with 1000s of subscribers. We want to get our education and our tools out to everyone who needs them, though, and help everyone to get their voice out into the world. We're looking for digital media nuts to join us for the ride.
Here's what this means to us:
- Success and creativity is recognised and rewarded
- Continued success > means growth > means career progression
- Every opinion counts. Get involved now and shape what this company becomes
- Work on a team where everyone LOVES what they do!