Looking for a role with a growing, high-impact company? We'd love to speak to you! Take a look at the current jobs below, and get in touch if you think there's a fit.
What's our Purpose?
We help your passion become the world's inspiration 💓
We do that by helping anyone to create a fan-building, life-changing podcast.
What are our Values?
1. Communication with respect, trust & humility is our #1 priority
- Thoughtful, respectful & clear communication is our #1 hiring requirement and the only non-negotiable
- We're respectful, considerate and sensitive to our team, and our customers
- We're honest and candid with our teammates.
- We aim to build trust & respect in our team, so that we can offer candid feedback and honest debate, while remaining positive and productive.
- We value emotions over velocity, and so it's worth taking time to explain an opinion, to give context and to ensure you understand.
- We state our opinions, NOT the facts (even when you think it's a fact 😉) because that's what powers productive discussion.
- We start debate with questions, not counter arguments or opposing views.
- We understand the other person's point of view before you offer yours.
- We're humble in every communication. You might be wrong. There might be no right answer.
2. We're always learning, always teaching, always humble
- We're great in our field, but there's always more to learn & ways to improve
- We're always developing our skills & strive to improve our work
- We're not just learners, we're researchers. We keep up to date with trends, but assess ‘shiny new things' based on practical benefits. We learn and we test that learning.
- Mistakes and failures are fine, but we take the time to learn from every one, and teach those learning to our team.
- We're all coaches, and we're all students – we teach and we learn from one another.
- Boring tasks are unavoidable, from time to time, but long-term boredom is a killer, to be voiced at any time
3. We're balanced but hungry
- We believe that with good planning and a great team, we can have a great quality of life, and still do ambitious, world-class work in our industry.
- We badly want to win, and we will, but not at the cost of our health and relationships
- We love what we do, so work doesn't feel like a chore in any case
- We think that smart work beats hard work every time, but we're not afraid of doing both when there's a need to solve big problems and jump barriers.
- We stay in control, we track of our aims and we voice it right away if we're at risk of being overwhelmed.
- Our company aims to be generous and look after us, so when disaster (rarely) strikes, we're happy to pitch in and look after our company in return
4. We strive for Clarity in everything we do
- Accessibility – we avoid jargon, wherever possible, and speak in the simplest, most human language possible.
- Brevity – the longer your ‘communication' (spoken or written) the more likely it is to be misunderstood. Keep it short, keep it simple and let the other person's questions lead you to further detail.
- Utility – we demonstrate and we document in order to communicate our ideas to others.
- we capture the details – we discuss things, we log them, we create processes so it's more clear the next time.
- We ask questions. A LOT. They're never dumb. It's never too obvious. Everyone else is thinking them. Just ask.
- Even the slightest doubt is too much. Just ask the question, and base your work on 100% clarity.
- Ego is the enemy – smart words and long essays don't make you look clever or prove your worth, to the right people. Stating complex ideas in simple ways DOES.
5. It's all about helping the podcaster
- We exist to help podcasters and audio creatives to make life changing programmes
- Everything we do is focussed on making easier, quicker or more effective ways to launch a great podcast, and then to grow and earn from it.
- We have empathy with our customers – we talk to them, ask them, and base everything we do on their needs.
- Sometimes, though, makers don't always know what they need. Our empathy helps us find creative ways to solve the problems they don't even know they have, test them and iterate from there
6. We have fun and try new things in our very creative industry
- We serve creatives and makers, and we're both of them ourselves.
- We have fun in our work, and make space to be creative
- We thrive on that creativity, and being contrary and rebellious – trying new things, having wild ideas, surprising people.
7. We're practically optimistic & positive problem solvers
- We strive to be optimistic, always, and rarely fall into negativity (at least for long 😅).
- But, we're practical. We know things go wrong sometimes. So we look out for pitfalls and plan for worst case scenarios, just incase.
- We stay positive in the face of problems, challenges and obstacles, because we believe we can overcome them, learn and have fun in the process.
- Whatever outcome, we stay positive. That's because we trust our skills, and those of our teammates, to creatively solve any problem that blocks our path.
- We look on the bright side
- We're never cynical & very wary of sarcasm and negativity in our conversations.
8. We “ship it”, small step by small step
- We're action takers. When we commit to something, we do it, whether inside our time, or outside with our customers and partners.
- If we realise we're going to miss a deadline, we tell our team as early as possible, and before they ask.
- We walk the balance between perfection and progress. We watch the details, we value quality, but perfection is the enemy of progress.
- We ship to the outside world as often as we can, breaking work into the smallest possible chunks, then iterating from there. We publish good content, and then improve it. We ship small features, and then develop them.
- We realise you never really know until something's public. Everything is just V1 and can be grown and improved over time.
- We aren't afraid to take risks and make mistakes, as long as we're confident we've planned for the consequences as best we can.
What does the Company Look Like?
We're a remote-first startup, with staff based around the world. We started in Dundee, Scotland, but we're looking for great people everywhere! We've grown out of the founder's passion for podcasting and education, and are growing a team that share that passion.
We aim to be a profitable company, always, and haven't taken any equity based funding at all. We're happy to grow in an organic and smart way, validating what we've got as we go, but that doesn't mean we don't have the drive to move fast!
We know people want what we've got – we have a thriving content website with hundreds of thousands of monthly visitors, a coaching space with hundreds of members, and a software product with 1000s of subscribers. We want to get our education and our tools out to everyone who needs them, and help everyone to get their voice out into the world. We're looking for digital media nuts to join us for the ride.
What do We Do?
Our core area of work is podcasting: helping others launch and grow an amazing, world-changing show. We publish a range of free resources on a regular basis at thePodcastHost.com, and we direct anyone who needs more help to our coaching and web app products.
Here's how our company works:
- Supporting a close community of all-in media creators within our paid course library: The Podcast Host Academy. The community contains courses, resources and live-taught events to help anyone learn how to run a better show.
- Running a Software as a Service (SAAS) web application, Alitu, which is a tool to help people create a podcast. SAAS growth & marketing is a really interesting and growing area, and you'll help us create our strategy around that.
- Affiliate and Sponsorship related to our free content. This means researching customer problems and needs, and creating content that really helps them. This is then monetised through product recommendations, sponsorship and other methods.