In a series all about presenting your Podcast content, we can hardly miss out one of the biggest trends in Podcasting of recent years: the humble interview. Interviewing is a real skill in itself, requiring preparation, practice and a whole lot of other little nuances. I thought it would be great to get a Radio Pro on to talk about this topic – someone who's been doing interviews for years in a live, public sphere. If you mess up an interview on live radio, after all, there's nowhere to hide!
On that note, I'm joined today by Matt Young, a long time radio presenter and experienced interviewer. On this episode you'll learn the common mistakes people make, techniques for not drying up and much more.
Here’s some of the great stuff you’ll learn in this episode:
- Matt Young’s background history as a radio presenter
- Common mistakes that people do when interviewing
- Necessary skills in interviewing
- The techniques and tips on how to conduct a successful interview
- How open-ended questions help in gaining more information from your interviewee
- Matt’s tips during the preparation stage of the interview
- Giving out 1,2,3 questions altogether during a prompt interview
- How does listening to other interviews affect your interviewing skills
- How Matt works with mapping out his interview or how he keep track of his questions
- The most important key to a successful interview is “YOU HAVE TO LISTEN WHILST TALKING”
- How body movements add vitality to the voice to show enthusiasm during the interview
Mentioned on this episode
Steve Perryman is a well-known football player who used to play for Spurs. Matt Young mentioned his interview experience with Steve and he shared his technique and tips on how to concentrate with the interview while still coming up with new questions.
Matt mentioned Jason’s ability to tell a story and get his listeners to enjoy his talk.
Matt shared his big admiration to Chris’ skills on handling prompt interview during the Breakfast show’s mystery guest portion.
Piers Morgan is a British journalist and television personality who is known to successfully gaining honest answers from his interviewees.
They Talk for a Living is Matt Young’s upcoming podcast which was inspired by him being a radio presenter and it’s a weekly podcast about people who make a living from talking.
Let Me Know What You Think
I’d love to hear your feedback! Let me know what you think of this episode in particular. Drop me answers to the following questions in the comments:
- How do you do a good interview?
- What skills do you need to perform the interview well and make sure it’s engaging?
- How do you prepare for your interview?
See you on the next episode!