Listening to podcasts on Alexa might seem like the easiest thing in the world. But, if you’re shouting the name of your favourite podcast to it, only to have it give you a weather report, you probably know, now, it’s not that simple. Smart speakers are clever, but they’re not your own personal genie. if you want to listen to your podcasts on Alexa, you need to show her how to find them, first.
Is This Your First Time Listening to a Podcast?
If so, you may want to read our article about How To Listen To A Podcast On Any Device. Then, come back, and we’ll show you how to listen to your podcasts on Alexa. And, by the way, welcome to the wonderful world of podcast enthusiasm! We’re glad to have you. You’re going to love it here.
How to Help Alexa Find Your Podcasts
Like I said before, Alexa is a smart speaker, but she’s not a magician. The podcast you want is in a directory (or, more than one). Even if that directory is Amazon Music or Audible, you have to show Alexa how to find the directory you want. Here’s how:
- Open the Alexa app. You’ll see options Alexa usually handles, such as alarms and shopping lists. Tap the icon that looks like three lines stacked on top of each other., for “More options.”
- Tap “Settings,” then “Music and Podcasts,” then “Link New Service.”
- You’ll see the most popular directories that Amazon serves: Amazon Music, I Heart Radio, and Tune In. It also says, “Link New Service.” Tap the directory that has your podcast, so it can link to Alexa. If it’s not there, tap “Link New Service,” on this screen.
- The next tier of services includes Apple Podcasts, Apple Music, Spotify, iHeartRadio, Deezer, and some others. If your podcast is in one of these directories, tap it to link to Alexa.
- The Alexa app opens a web page to log into the drectory you’ve chosen. Follow the directory’s prompts to link your account to Alexa.
- A confrmation page appears when the directory links to Alexa.
- When you ask Alexa to play a podcast, you have to say the name of the podcast, and the directory where they can find it. For example, “Alexa, play Hostile Worlds on Apple Podcasts.” Or whichever you prefer.
If you run into trouble, the Alexa app has a dedicated customer service team that will try to help you.
Can I Listen to a Private Podcast on Alexa?
To listen to a private podcast, first, make sure you can subscribe to that podcast’s RSS feed in your favorite directory. After that, you should be able to ask Alexa to play that podcast in said directory.
What About Smart Speakers Other Than Alexa?
You may have extrapolated by now that the process is similar for other smart speaker systems, such as Google Assistant and the Nest speakers, or the Sonos speaker systems. The voice-enabled assistant app (i.e., Alexa, Siri, Google Assistant) is separate from the speaker itself. In the device’s app, choose Settings, and then add the service (directory) you prefer. This way, you can listen to podcasts on Alexa, on Google Nest, on Sonos, whichever strikes your fancy.