Search Engine Optimization, SEO, is an area that many podcasters don’t prioritise. We love creating content, but if people can’t find it, then they can’t consume it. In this episode, we talk with Tim Cameron Kitchen from Exposure Ninja, a digital marketing agency that helps businesses generate more revenue from the internet by driving traffic with SEO, PPC, Content Marketing and Social.
Tim explains that, while there are podcast directories in the form of Spotify and Apple Podcasts, the biggest way people search for things is via text, mostly on Google, which is why blog writing is so helpful.
With blog posts and a focus on keywords and SEO, people will be able to find your content more easily. It can take time to find and utilise keywords that work the best for you, but it is worth the time it takes. Many of your competitors aren’t investing time in this area, so by focusing on these tools, it can give your content a strong competitive edge.
In our conversation, we focus on the three areas of SEO, link building, and conversion rate optimization. Tim shares his insight into these topics and gives top tips that podcasters can use in order to increase their ranking on Google today.
Topics in this episode:
- How to find relevant keywords for your podcast episode and how to use them
- The importance of good editing and transcription for SEO and ranking
- The biggest mistake people make on the average blog post is to write about stuff no one cares about.
- How to become a featured snippet on Google and get great visibility with a blog post
- Using link building to stand out against your competition
- Twitter as a tool for podcast visibility
- Outbound content marketing in the form of a small survey or study
- Repacking your content and providing it to publications as a way to get in front of your perfect target customer
- Strategies to compel your listener to subscribe and engage. Most people aren’t willing to put in the effort to answer your call to action. In order to encourage them to do so, make sure that what you offer them is compelling and attractive.
- Podcasts are a powerful relationship-building and marketing tool, so make sure you make the most out of it.
- https://answerthepublic.com/ – This tool is important for creating blog posts. With this, you can see the kind of questions people are asking about your particular topic. You can then use the blog post to address those questions. Once you match the title of the blog post to some of the headlines on that page, it can get quite easy to get them to rank.
- https://www.semrush.com/, or for a free trial use: Thank You Ninjas – SEMrush is a paid tool to show related keywords and volumes. Once you have identified powerful keywords for your blog post, utilize them by adding them to the page title, subheadlines, and within the text on the page.
- Tim’s Book, How To Get To The Top Of Google: https://exposureninja.com/training/books/how-to-get-to-the-top-of-google/
Tim’s Contact Info:
And be sure to check out The Podcast Host Academy, where you can get access to all of our courses (including our ’30 Days of Growth’ podcast promotion series). On top of that, we run weekly live Q&A sessions in there, so you’ll always get the help, answers, and advice that you need!