PART 1: HOW TO RUN A PODCAST ON YOUR WEBSITE
PART 2: SETTING UP SERIOUSLY SIMPLE PODCASTING
How to Install Seriously Simple Podcasting
First things first, we need to install the Seriously Simple Podcasting plugin. Even if you aren’t using Castos as a media host, you need this plugin to generate your RSS feed. That’s essential for allowing people to subscribe to your show.
Start the installation process using these 5 steps. Or watch the video in the next section for a full walk through
- In your WordPress dashboard, navigate to the Plugins -> Add New section
- Search for “Podcast” and Seriously Simple Podcasting will show up as the 1st or 2nd choice.
- Click the “Install” button to the right of the SSP logo
- When that’s finished click “Activate”
- This has installed and activated the Seriously Simple Podcasting plugin on your WordPress site.
Setting Up Seriously Simple Podcasting
Next, let’s have a look through the Seriously Simple Podcasting settings. The videos below are kindly provided by Castos founder, Craig Hewitt. This first one covers:
- Installing Seriously Simple Podcasting on your WordPress site[Starts at 0:09]
- Configuring where in WordPress you will publish your podcast content [Starts at 0:50]
- Configuring the embeddable media player to display to your site visitors [Starts at 1:25]
Creating Additional Podcasts and Importing Existing Shows Into WordPress
If you want to run a podcast network from your WordPress site you’re in luck. Seriously Simple Podcasting allows you to run as many podcasts as you’d like from a single WordPress site. So whether you just have a couple of shows you want to run at the same time or you’re building a Podcast Network you’re covered.
In this video we walk through the creation of a new Series in Seriously Simple Podcasting, and then how to import an existing show from an external RSS feed into your WordPress site.
- Creating a new Series so that your new show has its own RSS feed [Starts at 0:13]
- Setting the Feed Details for that new show’s RSS feed [Starts at 0:24]
- Importing content from an external source into the new Series you’ve just configured [Starts at 1:30]
Remember, Seriously Simple Podcasting will automatically send the episode file to your media host and update the RSS feed. This means you only have to upload your files to WordPress and easily create a new post featuring your latest episode. No more copy and pasting links between your podcast hosting platform and WordPress dashboard.
For every new episode, include its show notes and transcriptions to attract new listeners and your podcast more accessible. We have a ‘shownotes cookbook’ within our Podcast Host Academy that outlines all of the ways we know to make brilliant shownotes. Join us in there to take a look!
In this unit we have three tasks, all aimed at getting our Podcast set up using the top WordPress podcasting plugin and its integrated media host.
- Install Seriously Simple Podcasting
- Create the one-time connection between Seriously Simple Podcasting and your media host
- Create one podcast episode, following the instructions earlier in this unit